Sunday, June 03, 2007

Bread & Roses


It all started in Santa Cruz, California. Every Saturday morning I'd get up early and head out to this little bakery in Santa Cruz. Their croissants still linger in my mind, warm, flakey and buttery - it brings tears to my eyes. I'd grab a dozen of them, then head back to residence and share with whoever was up that early.

Which got me to thinking. How hard is it to bake a croissant? I've been studying vintage cookbooks, cookbooks written in French and even searched the web. Finally, I think I may bake up a batch this week.

In Toronto I found a tiny little bakery called "Bread & Roses" which made a close second to the Santa Cruz ones, these were filled with chocolate and some had almond paste.

Can you see where I am going with this?

So this Saturday - come check it out.

No comments: