Friday, July 24, 2015

Look Ahead

Mount Douglas Park in Victoria, BC Photo Credit:  Caron Somers

Look Ahead


This post was published on our blog late last night by the other bloom Caron.

My friend sent me an email tonight, she’d been suddenly let go from a job she loved and one that she’d been good at.  I felt so bad for her.

And then I looked at the date and I remembered.

This time last year,  I too had been let go from a job I loved.  It was a family run business, had worked there for 6 years and been a part of the company for 13.  Called into the new bosses office one afternoon and let go.  No severance pay and no farewell cake with all the staff either, I never got to even say good bye.  I walked out to the parking lot, called home and sobbed.  Last summer was a blur of crying.  I cried clear to Christmas.

In January I tried to convince myself I was over it all but I hadn’t counted on feeling shunned.  How no one bothered to call to see how I was, no one checked to see if I was ok.  February – June still crying and thinking I’d never get over this.  This would be my undoing and I’d never amount to anything ever again.

I can’t say there was one clear moment when the sun began to shine and birds started chirping again.  But it happened.  And I didn’t even realize it, until my family mentioned that I didn’t cry anymore.  The answer was to have people in my life that loved me regardless, that pushed me to see that there was life after getting fired.  That I had value and I would heal.  And I did.  So much so, that I walked into a gathering where my old boss was and I didn’t even flinch.  I sat down, enjoyed the program, hugged a few people and walked away.  The pain had gone, the sting had subsided and I had not only forgiven the players, but moved on.  And if you had told me this time last year, I would never have believed you.  But I guess that’s what faith is, just putting one foot in front of the other and looking ahead.

About Caron:  Caron is one of the blooms of Two Blooms Design Studio Est. 2002. She is the dreamer, production manager and the social media wannabe. Caron is married to the word adventure and she will never stop dreaming.

No comments: